Having indoor house plants has been proven to reduce stress and increase productivity by lending some peace and beauty to your environment. While this is amazing for those green thumbs, whose plants seem to thrive just by being near them, it doesn’t always work out for the rest of us. Most house plants require a commitment to keep them happy, but some are perfect for beginners who occasionally forget to water them. In fact, some plants prefer minimal watering and might be perfect for you, while others will let you know with plenty of time to spare before they die off! Here’s a list of seven beginner-friendly house plants so you can get the same benefits as your savvy green thumb friends!
- Aloe – aloe plants thrive when you leave them alone. They need a sunny area, so be sure to place them near a window and then sit back and enjoy their lovely spikes. They’ll even grow pups that you can pot yearly!
- Snake plant – this pretty dual-colored houseplant is perfect for counters and tables as it doesn’t need much sun to be happy. Add an extra pop of color by covering the soil in sea glass to retain what little moisture they need!
- Succulents – these come in all shapes and colors and add little bits of life to your house. They aren’t sun greedy and don’t like to be watered often. Have some fun with your choice of container. A teacup can be perfect and add a touch of charm!
- Ferns – ferns like water, but never fear! They’ll let you know way ahead of time by drooping. This is one houseplant that gives its own reminder and then perks right back up! They’re incredibly resilient.
- Spider Monkey plants – these gorgeous plants are perfect for that macrame plant hanger you’ve been eyeing. They are super low maintenance and just need a little sun and water to keep them lush.
- Chinese Evergreen – if you like your house a little warm (60 degrees Fahrenheit and above), this plant is perfect. It wants its soil dry for days before being watered and shies away from sunlight. With so many different varieties, you’re sure to find the perfect one for you!
- Jade – they say these are finicky, but the truth is they are just like ferns. They’ll warn you when they need water by dropping their leaves. Jade is gorgeous, and a small plant can fill out a large container over time. They’ll do best near your aloe by the window, and because of their waxy leaves, the sun makes them almost glow!
Paint your thumb green, my friends, and head out to a local nursery and get these plants to liven your home. You’ll take such pride in your ability to keep these budding buddies alive, and they truly can thrive in even the most scatterbrained households!